Heidi & Squeak's New Zealand MTB Trip

Récit&Photos publiés dans les Blogues AllezY
50 message(s) • Page 1 sur 41, 2, 3, 4

Heidi & Squeak's New Zealand MTB Trip

Message par Heidi » Jeu Mars 11, 2004 2:52 pm

Here is the entire trip report all in one place to keep.
We just got back from a 2 week vacation to the South Island of New Zealand. We rented an RV, and drove around the island stopping to ride, kayak, cave explore, drink, and seek adventure. This is my write-up and pictures. Hope you enjoy!

Derek and I arrived at the airport with 2.5 hours to spare. We checked in at Quantas and were devastated to hear that the airline had a special weight restriction….no luggage over 70 pounds. This mystified us, as we have flown with our double bike case a gazillion times with the weight limit ALWAYS being 100 pounds. They offered to give us a big cardboard box to pack one of the bikes in but we took one look at that and knew that without additional padding and packaging, the bike would be damaged for sure. They told us they wouldn’t even insure the box because it was inadequate packaging! What were we to do? Standing outside debating what to do, the customer representative came out and offered to take one of us to the store to buy additional packaging. So, off Derek went while Mark and I opened our bike case and started stripping off parts and stuff. I kept running back inside and weighing stuff as we took it off until I got it down to 69.5 pounds. Derek returned with a Performance bike case and we piled everything else in it. Good thing we got to the airport early! We met Squeak in LA and flew to New Zealand!!!

We picked up our RV and the adventure started!
Here we are chillin the first evening in Christchurch.
I ride, therefore I am.

http://heidirides.blogspot.com/
Heidi
Kamikaze écervelé

Message(s) : 163

Message par Heidi » Jeu Mars 11, 2004 2:53 pm

We drove the RV to a little town called Sumner and parked. Our guidebook for the Godley Head ride wasn’t too descriptive so we pulled over in front of some guys house and asked him where the Captain Evans Track was. He went inside, came out with his Thomas Brothers Guide and helped us find our ride. The people all over the country were just this friendly. The ride started with some climbing of course, and a lot of exposure. It was all dry mountains, no mud in sight really. The views quickly became stunning as we were on an inlet with water all around us wherever we looked; beautiful blues and greens. We rode alongside the sheep and I tried to pet some. Finally we came upon some little bridges that were built up with some little rises and a jump or two and we played around here for awhile. The singletrack was extremely narrow and the sides were ramped up so you really had to pay attention. Brian looked away for one second, hit the side of it and toppled over with a good yell. Heheheh

More rocky downhill and exploring and we popped out by the beach for some fun bmx style track. It was completely awesome and I grinned the whole way through the whoops and banked swooping turns and berms. The ride ended with a huge road climb out of a place called Taylors Mistake back into Sumner. We rode back to the RV, took ICE COLD showers and headed out of town for the night. Destination…..Hanmer Springs, home of the natural hot thermal springs.

Sheep are all over the place in New Zealand!

I ride, therefore I am.

Heidi
Kamikaze écervelé

Message par Heidi » Jeu Mars 11, 2004 2:53 pm

Godley Head had some great singletrack and cool little plank trails.

Pièces jointes
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Mark_Godleywood_WEB.jpg
Mark_Godleywood_WEB.jpg (45.95 Kio) Consulté 8773 fois
I ride, therefore I am.

Heidi
Kamikaze écervelé

Message par Heidi » Jeu Mars 11, 2004 2:54 pm

The view of Sumner was really pretty. Is a small little town that sits right on the water.

It was really windy out up on the ridges. Here's Derek
Pièces jointes
Derek_godley_WEB.jpg
Derek_godley_WEB.jpg (47.22 Kio) Consulté 8772 fois
I ride, therefore I am.

Heidi
Kamikaze écervelé

Message par Heidi » Jeu Mars 11, 2004 2:54 pm

This is the little town where the ride ended. We rode right along that beach back to Sumner.

I ride, therefore I am.

Heidi
Kamikaze écervelé

Message par Heidi » Jeu Mars 11, 2004 2:55 pm

HANMER

We arrived in Hanmer in the evening and were greeted with high winds and a chill in the air. We walked to dinner where we discovered that salad dressing is not popular in NZ. They serve lettuce and carrots and beets with no dressing. Weird. The next day we rode the local trails. They were pretty nice, steep climbs, switchbacks, dark forests with mud patches, stairs, beautiful lookouts, and fun singletrack once again. We finished the afternoon by soaking in the hot springs and eating of course. Then we were off to Picton.

For now, here is Mark just coming down a stair section.

Me:

The view from the top:
I ride, therefore I am.

Heidi
Kamikaze écervelé

This is the WORLD FAMOUS hot chocolate served at a little cafe there in Hanmer.

It was soooo pretty I didn't want Mark to drink it!
I ride, therefore I am.

Heidi
Kamikaze écervelé

We drove all afternoon and arrived in a sleepy town called Picton. It is right on the coast and for some reason I really like it. It was chilly that evening but we rode our bikes into town and had dinner at the “Toot and Whistle”…how can you pass on a place with a name like that? Then we went and had drinks for a few hours at some other bar where the locals were very colorful. The harbor was lined with fishing boats and I asked one guy what they caught in the harbor. He just pointed at me!!!! We screwed around riding the stairs in their park and taking pictures of their odd Disney characters and then we happily headed “home”. The next day was Queen Charlotte Track!

Pièces jointes
Mickey!!_WEB.jpg
Mickey!!_WEB.jpg (35.85 Kio) Consulté 8768 fois
I ride, therefore I am.

Heidi
Kamikaze écervelé

Message par Heidi » Jeu Mars 11, 2004 2:56 pm

QUEEN CHARLOTTE TRACK

A boat took us out in the sounds to Punga Cove and dropped us off. This area has countless bays and inlets, all very beautiful. There is a track that stretches along the ridge and is very well built and signed. A lot of backpackers and hikers use this trail but everyone for the most part was very friendly. Since it isn’t built specifically for riders, there are some really, really steep hills that require you to push your bike. We learned a new term in New Zealand, it’s called “push biking”. The ride took us all day and was somewhere over 40km.
I ride, therefore I am.

Heidi
Kamikaze écervelé

Brian showing his Colorado skilss.

Me showing him Cali style

The group:
I ride, therefore I am.

Heidi
Kamikaze écervelé

Some views from the ride.

I ride, therefore I am.

Heidi
Kamikaze écervelé

Message par Heidi » Jeu Mars 11, 2004 2:57 pm

More riding pics of Mark.

I ride, therefore I am.

Heidi
Kamikaze écervelé

Message par Heidi » Jeu Mars 11, 2004 2:57 pm

Friday we slept in, Mark made us pancakes for breakfast, and we drove over to the Havelock area for our next adventure. I call it an adventure; others are referring to it as “Black Friday” because we almost died. Hehehehe The shuttle was over 1.5 hours and we didn’t get started until around 2:30 or so. The guidebook said to allow so we didn’t think anything of it. The ride started on a 6 mile fireroad climb and then followed with a 4 mile singletrack climb. It was incredibly beautiful going through the beach tree forests and along the rocky hill. We climbed, and climbed, and climbed and then started pushing. The hills pitched straight up, the dirt turned darker and slipperier and we entered the rain forest. The walls were seeping with water and moss covered everything. At points we were carrying our bikes and lifting them up over huge obstacles of rocks and trees, up cliffs, over streams. I’m talking huge steps and climbs up where you weren’t eve sure you were still on the trail. This went on for some time and no one was happy about it. Then it started to rain.

We reached the top of the mountain at about 7:00pm and it was raining harder. After seeing what we had come up I was a little hesitant that I would be able to ride the DH side. It started off pretty scary, lINSANE is a better word. I would ride a little section, then have to get off and hike downhill, then get back on, fumble through the trees and roots, hop over logs, negotiate the rocks, and keep an eye out for the markers that lined the trail every now and then. I couldn’t even tell I was on a trail most of the time. We kept moving slowly, keeping everyone together so we wouldn’t lose anyone. It started to get better and soon we hit the switchbacks. No one counted, but it seemed like about 50. They were all slippery and wet, fern lined and tight. They were perfectly angled if you had the right balance, speed, and luck. I got in the rhythm of riding in, braking slightly and throwing my weight so the back end would follow nicely…most of the time. I had a few near misses but smiled the whole way. After about an hour we were starting to get out of the forest cover and follow alongside the mountain. We would go in and out of the forest along the mud path. Soon we decided that we weren’t going to make it by nightfall. So, Derek and I broke off with the hope of making it to the carpark to retrieve our bike lights and make it back to the group to help them out. About half an hour later it got too dark to ride though. My body temp was dropping, and I was soaked. Whenever we would cross the river my shoes would fill up with ice cold water and I’d get colder. Soon we had to walk because it was PITCH BLACK. We were following the trail alongside a mountain wall with a cliff to our left. Glow Worms lined the side of the cliff and gave us some reassurance that as long as we stayed towards them, we would be on the trail. Finally we saw the RV and were overjoyed. We changed quickly, grabbed the lights and some food, and headed back. About 10 minutes up the trail we found the other group, walking using the LED light from the digital camera so they could see. Wow, what a day.
I ride, therefore I am.

Heidi
Kamikaze écervelé

Message par Heidi » Jeu Mars 11, 2004 2:59 pm

Pièces jointes
Brian_Wakamarina_WEB.jpg
Brian_Wakamarina_WEB.jpg (77.74 Kio) Consulté 8760 fois
I ride, therefore I am.

Heidi
Kamikaze écervelé

Message par Heidi » Jeu Mars 11, 2004 2:59 pm

Black Friday pics. Some are dark because we are DEEP in the jungle.

I ride, therefore I am.

Heidi
Kamikaze écervelé

Suivant

50 message(s) • Page 1 sur 41, 2, 3, 4

Retour vers Les Blogues AllezY